Conflicting signals from the White House and Tehran are heightening risks of a renewed conflict that could threaten a fifth of the world’s daily oil supply.
Conflicting signals from the White House and Tehran are heightening risks of a renewed conflict that could threaten a fifth of the world’s daily oil supply.

President Donald Trump stated that Iran is "very eager" to secure a peace deal while simultaneously threatening "more forceful" military action, injecting fresh uncertainty into a tense ceasefire that has halted 20% of global oil and LNG shipments for weeks.
"The regional war that was promised will this time be extended beyond the region, and our crushing blows will bring you to ruin in places you cannot imagine," Iran’s parliamentary Revolutionary Guard said in a statement reported by the country's news agency Wednesday.
The mixed messaging follows comments from US Vice President JD Vance that negotiations were in a "pretty good" place, with a ceasefire remaining active since the conflict began on Feb. 28. The standoff has effectively shut down the Strait of Hormuz, a critical chokepoint through which a fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas flows, leading to a potential for a sharp spike in energy prices if hostilities resume.
The escalating rhetoric puts the global economic outlook at risk, as a prolonged closure of the Strait could trigger a significant oil price shock and push investors toward safe-haven assets like gold and the US dollar. The last major disruption in the Strait in 2019 saw oil prices jump nearly 15% in a single day, highlighting the market's sensitivity to conflict in the region.
The verbal salvos come at a critical juncture, with both sides attempting to assert control over the vital shipping lane. President Trump, who told lawmakers at the White House on Tuesday to terminate a proposed deal "very quickly," is navigating a complex geopolitical landscape. His administration faces growing domestic pressure over a conflict that has already dragged on longer than anticipated, a situation now viewed negatively by a majority of Americans, according to recent polls.
Vice President Vance attempted to soften the tone, telling reporters that neither Washington nor Tehran desired a return to a full-blown military campaign. "This is not a forever war. We’re going to take care of business and come home,” Vance said Tuesday, suggesting that negotiations are the preferred path. However, Iran's response indicates that its patience is wearing thin, interpreting the mixed signals from the US as a potential prelude to renewed attacks.
For global markets, the primary concern is the stalled maritime traffic. The complete cessation of shipments through the Strait of Hormuz since February 28 has effectively removed a significant volume of energy from the market, forcing major importers in Asia and Europe to seek alternative supplies at higher costs. A resumption of fighting would likely lead to a surge in crude oil prices, with analysts at Goldman Sachs previously estimating a full-blown conflict could send prices north of $100 per barrel.
This would exacerbate global inflationary pressures that central banks are struggling to contain and almost certainly trigger a broader 'risk-off' move in equity markets. The uncertainty has already benefited traditional safe-haven assets, with gold holding near multi-year highs and the US dollar remaining firm against a basket of major currencies. The next move depends on whether the diplomatic track championed by Vance or the more hawkish stance articulated by Trump prevails.
This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice.