Hasbro Inc. (HAS) shares fell 8.32% to $89.09 on Wednesday even after the company reported first-quarter results that beat expectations, as investors reacted to its decision to maintain its full-year outlook.
"The first quarter was a strong start to the year and reflects tailwinds from our Playing to Win strategy,” said Chris Cocks, CEO of Hasbro. “Wizards continues to break records, supported by Magic: The Gathering’s flywheel of player growth and expanded distribution."
The toy and gaming company reported a strong beat for the first quarter of 2026, with key metrics exceeding analyst expectations. The results, however, were overshadowed by a cautious outlook.
The company’s Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming segment continued to be its primary growth engine, with revenue climbing 26% to $582 million. Sales for the popular trading card game Magic: The Gathering grew 36% to nearly $470 million, fueled by new releases. In contrast, the Consumer Products segment saw revenue remain flat at $397.9 million.
Hasbro also disclosed an expected $20 million in remediation costs related to a network access incident, which it said would also cause a shift of approximately $40 million to $60 million in revenue from the second half of the year. Despite the strong start to the year, Hasbro reaffirmed its full-year guidance for total revenue growth of 3-5% and adjusted operating margins of 24-25%.
The sharp decline despite the earnings beat shows that investors are highly focused on future guidance. The stock's performance suggests that the market had already priced in a strong quarter and was anticipating an upward revision to the company's annual forecast. Hasbro's next catalyst will be its second-quarter results, where investors will look for any change in the full-year outlook.
This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice.