Trump ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce US-South Korea military exercises hours before 18,000 troops began the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drill, a move that risks weakening deterrence against a nuclear-armed North Korea.
President Donald Trump instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to cut American participation in the 11-day exercise, which began Aug. 17 and runs through Aug. 27, citing its cost and his "very good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Trump also linked the decision to Seoul's refusal to join US operations against Iran, saying South Korean President Lee Jae Myung answered "No thanks!" when asked whether the country would help with the "denuclearization" of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
"We need South Korea as an ally more than ever to maintain deterrence on the Korean Peninsula and to reinforce our industrial base in critical sectors like shipbuilding and semiconductors," said Patrick Cronin, an expert on Asian security at the Hudson Institute. "We should not punish Seoul for our lack of a strategy in the Middle East."
The order lands as the number of combined field exercises involving battalion-size units or larger is set to fall to 14 this year from 17 in 2025, according to South Korean media reports. North Korea launched two ballistic missiles in the week before the drill, including one from Wonsan that flew more than 700 kilometers before landing in the sea between the peninsula and Japan. Pyongyang has sent as many as 14,000 troops to support Russia's war in Ukraine, gaining contemporary battlefield experience that US and South Korean commanders say they factored into this year's scenarios.
The reduction threatens to erode interoperability between the roughly 28,500 US troops stationed in South Korea and their hosts, who operate separate command systems, weapons and communications networks that joint training is designed to align. Trump has long pressed Seoul to pay more for that presence, demanding as much as $5 billion a year during his first term and suggesting $10 billion during his 2024 campaign. The Biden administration's five-year cost-sharing agreement, still in force, commits Seoul to roughly 1.52 trillion won, about $1.1 billion, toward the US deployment.
A concession Kim has heard before
Trump's move echoes his suspension of major drills after the June 2018 Singapore summit with Kim, when he called the exercises "provocative" and "expensive." That concession helped open a diplomatic channel but produced no lasting denuclearization deal; talks collapsed while North Korea continued expanding its arsenal. The US intelligence community's Annual Threat Assessment, issued in March, still describes Pyongyang as a "strategic competitor and potential adversary" committed to growing its strategic weapons program.
Trump's framing of North Korea as "unthreatening and respectful" does not match the military picture. Days before his order, North Korean soldiers briefly crossed the Military Demarcation Line in the eastern section of the Demilitarized Zone, prompting South Korean troops to fire warning shots. Pyongyang's Foreign Ministry has accused Washington, Seoul and Tokyo of building a "nuclear alliance" and warned it would answer a higher level of threat with a stronger nuclear deterrent.
What Seoul stands to lose
South Korea's Defense Ministry said the exercise would "proceed as previously notified and scheduled," but the Pentagon has not specified which forces, aircraft or scenarios will be withdrawn. A single reduced drill would not dismantle the alliance; repeated cuts could gradually weaken the readiness that underpins Washington's extended deterrence pledge, the assurance that has long dissuaded Seoul from pursuing its own nuclear weapons.
The decision also complicates US efforts to secure South Korean help around the Strait of Hormuz, where Washington has pressed Seoul, Tokyo and Beijing to send warships. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said countries such as South Korea "have unique capabilities in terms of mine clearing" and that US participation "would be beneficial," even as Seoul's laws require National Assembly approval for overseas troop deployments. Whether Kim treats the concession as an opening for diplomacy or proof that pressure makes Washington retreat will determine if the gamble pays off.
This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice.